Classes of hosting services
A hosting service includes stashing and/or sharing particular content on a web hosting server run by a web hosting company. There are different groups of hosting services used for different aims, so let's survey them. In that way, you can elect what you need, based on whether you'd like to launch a web site, e-mail addresses, or to share files with buddies and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by some companies, which permits you to share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single purpose is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free file hosting accounts often involve ads next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a certain stretch of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a completely incongruous explanation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would distribute the tasks at hand between individual sets of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different web page hosting services (mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is just a variety of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; certain companies provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting type is appropriate if you desire to share a vast number of pictures with buddies or colleagues since the service is generally free of charge. You will obtain a random link for every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to administering your email addresses. Some providers offer web page hosting services for sites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting solution. If you wish to run an email address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you want. You can open email mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file produces a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video clips and several hundred web page visitors, you may have a problem with your web site hosting resources. Embedding the video will allow you to own as many video clips as you would like without worrying about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to keep a web site. To some extent, it encompasses all of the aforementioned hosting brands since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and mailbox accounts, upload video files, etc. At LiquidNet Ltd Hosting, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated web hosting accounts that enable you to have all of the abovementioned services in a single location. There may be restrictions depending on the form of hosting solution that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting account may be better or worse compared with the conventional e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are planned for particular web content only.